Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Joy in Sarah's Face

I have a new favorite thing. It's what happens to my 15-year-old daughter's face when she finds something really funny. Whether it's something she read in a book, saw on Instagram, or heard one of us say, her face goes through an amazing transformation. She starts in "resting bitch face" or RBF (her words, not mine, and very typical in our family) but then, something magical happens.

The happiness starts in her eyes, which look up from whatever she's doing and go wide, as though she's just had the most brilliant idea. They glitter and shine like the sun reflecting on the ocean. Then, the rest of her face joins the party. Her cheeks lift, her mouth opens, and her lips pull back in a huge smile. Sometimes there's laughter, but it's mostly - and a little ironically - a silent joy. Not one millimeter of her face is excluded.

The other day, I witnessed this step-by-step awesomeness. I was slightly worried that I'd offend her, but I took a chance and said, "When you find something super funny, your face is so great. It reminds me of that thing the sloth at the DMV in Zootopia does when he hears or tells a joke."



Her response? She made the face, so I guess she found it funny.

I'm not sure who was happier in that moment.

* * *

Thank you to all of the wonderful folks at Two Writing Teachers for allowing me to share this small slice of life. To read more slices, click here and click on "Slice of Life"!

9 comments:

  1. What a great capture you've made of her face with words instead of just a picture. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Just goes to show how much FUN it is to write about something you love.

      Starting to put together my chartbook today using your blog as a guide. Thanks for the inspiration!!

      Delete
  2. This is delightful---so filled with authentic love and joy. Here's wishing your daughter many such moments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my truest wish for her, too! Thank you, Molly!!

      Delete
  3. ❤️As my own children age, that is the
    Thing I miss the
    Most and treasure when it happens--pure joy!
    " sometimes there's laughter,, but it's mostly--and a little ironically, pure joy". YES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Amy. Precious people, precious moments, precious time.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness. Thank you. I adore her, so that must come across in my writing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Treasure those happy teen moments! You obviously have a great relationship with her!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews