Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Summer Senses

What surrounds teachers during the summer is vastly different than that which we immerse ourselves during the school year, so I thought I'd blog about summer from the perspective of my 5 senses.


The summer sun sparkles off the pool in our backyard.
Our dogs lazily lay on the deck, soaking up the sun.
Shorts, swimsuits, and flip flops litter the laundry room.

Hammers pound and drills buzz as demo day begins our bathroom remodel.
The aspen leaves rustle gently in the morning breeze.
Teenage laughter fills the backyard as steaks sizzle on the grill.

The aroma of freshly-brewed coffee wakes me well after the sun.
Coconut sunscreen fills my hands and my head with summer memories.
The scents of hot dogs and beer mean I'm back again at Wrigley Field.

Turning the pages of the book in my hands.
Feeling the warmth of the sun on my skin.
The cool water envelopes and relaxes me, as time is on my side.

The sweet taste of Sarah's smoothie creations, always new and inventive.
Nectarines, blueberries, and strawberries signal summer's arrival.
Coffee's invigoration slides down my throat (well... not everything is different!)

* * *

Thank you, as always, to the wonderful crew at Two Writing Teachers for allowing me to share a slice of my summer life! If you'd like to read more Slices of Life, click here!

3 comments:

  1. The sense of summer. I like your approach to this slice. Inspirational to try later during my summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an idyllic summer you have described! Delighting all the senses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this journey. The senses bring out sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews