Tuesday, May 16, 2017

A Foot In Two Oceans

Lots on my mind these days, as it's an interesting time in the school year. This is the time where teachers have their feet in two oceans: class lists, supply orders, and professional development are all springing head to the next school year. But my mind is still making a concerted effort to remain in the present. With these kids. This class. Right now.

So, while I'm making a list of next year's read alouds (what to buy, what to read first to set the tone), I'm also remembering Last Day Blues by Julie Dannenberg. Will it be too sad for this year's class? Will I be able to get through it without crying?

So, while I'm planning how to incorporate deeper student thinking and writing about reading into those class read alouds next year, I'm also conferring with students about their writing about reading and how we can still grow as readers and writers even though there are only 9 days left in the school year.

So, while we're getting a new math curriculum next year and I'm already planning for adjustments and differentiation based on what I already know about my new group of learners, I'm also stretching my current group, exposing them to algebra through hands-on work and problem solving.

And while we're talking about changes in our social studies curriculum, courtesy of the new social science standards, I'm also keeping this year's group engaged through a Civil War reenactment, so they can continue to learn through doing.

And though I'm book shopping, reading ARCs, and planning book talks for next year, I'm also knee-deep in the final week of Book Madness (Wonder vs. Home of the Brave - how does one choose?!?) and helping my kids create summer book stacks so they can continue to love reading throughout the summer and, hopefully, for the rest of their lives.

Having my feet in two oceans is something I'm used to now, as I finish my seventh year of teaching, my fourth in this wonderful district. But I don't ever want my kids to think that I've checked out, that I've already moved on, that I'm planning for the future at the expense of the present. They deserve all of me until that final bell rings on May 26th. And I'll be honest, they'll still have me after the year is over, too.

3 comments:

  1. Love this post about your foot in two oceans. And your concluding sentence: "... they'll still have me after the year is over, too." I don't think our students ever know the kind of real estate they occupy in our hearts even after they leave our classrooms. And BTW, my vote is for Home of the Brave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great way to describe it! I have to constantly remind myself to stay in the now, and not get too caught up in what I will do better next time. I need to do my best this time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! I love these sentences! "They deserve all of me until that final bell rings on May 26th. And I'll be honest, they'll still have me after the year is over, too."

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews