Thursday, March 2, 2017

#SOL17 Day 2 - Lessons from Kwame



So I bought Kwame Alexander's The Playbook: 52 Rules to Aim, Shoot, and Score in This Game Called Life last night. And today, I already used it to teach. In math, I chose a couple of the rules and had the students relate them to math. What WONDERFUL connections they made to their own lives. What a wonderful mindset this man has!

Here are top favorite 3 rules from The Playbook:

  1. There is no single formula for winning, but you must have a game plan (Rule 30.)
  2. The size of your heart matters more than your opponent (Rule 2.)
  3. Starting with a simple move like a lay-up can build confidence as you move through the hard screens and tough challenges on your way to the goal (Rule 37.)

6 comments:

  1. I love #2! I will have to check this book out, I've read his other books. His writing is so relevant for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is life truth in those three rules. Thank you for sharing that. I have a lot to think about now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's SO MUCH in this book. I absolutely love it. Thinking about it as a beginning-of-the-year read aloud for my 5th graders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book too. It reminds me of the 365 Days of Wonder (a follow on to Wonder where there are daily precepts written out). The Wonder app also sends you one a day. So many wise words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My students made that same connection about Wonder! I love that you have the app; I do, too!! Those little daily nuggets really get me in the right frame of mind.

      Delete
  5. I'm going to have to check out this book. I am completely impressed that you thought of it to teach math. What a great experience for your students!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews