Wednesday, March 8, 2017

#SOL17 Day 8 - Storm Insomnia

I think I made Mother Nature mad. I had finished my little haiku, beckoning Spring in 17 syllables, scheduled the post to publish the next morning, and started to wind down for the evening.

I knew it'd be a rough one before I went to bed. My weather app kindly informed me that severe weather would be visiting Chicago in the wee hours of the morning.

I should also tell you that I'm a terrible sleeper.

At 1:30am, when the wind began to howl and the thunder began to rumble right on time, I woke up. I stayed awake as the storm approached. The wind was furious, as the new month continued to March in like a lion. The sky continued to illuminate as the front of the storm passed over. I tossed. I turned. I checked my phone to see of the severe thunderstorm warning had changed to a tornado warning. It hadn't. I relaxed a little.

The light and sound (was this a storm or a Metallica concert?) abated just minutes later. But I, the terrible sleeper that I am, continued to toss and turn. I wondered if there was more to come. I wondered if today's lessons were going to go okay. I wondered how long the meeting with the new school architects would go. I wondered if I would fall asleep during dinner with my friend.

I needed my coffee intravenously. Next time I try to nudge the universe toward Spring, remind me that maybe Winter's not so bad after all.

4 comments:

  1. I usually don't wake up for storms, but that one definitely woke me up! Man it was crazy.

    And I hate when you get stuck awake in the middle of the night and then everything starts scrolling through your head. There's nothing you can do about it now, but your brain doesn't seem to agree!

    Hope you get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I get brain-won't-turn-off-itis frequently! Can't wait for spring break!

      Delete
  2. Those false spring days can be so alluring! I hate my insomnia- sounds like so many of us have similar thoughts. I like your apology to Mother Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you compared your storm to a Metallica concert. I would much rather those passed through during the daylight hours than at night. There should be a law!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews