Monday, March 6, 2017

#SOL17 Day 6 - A Love Letter to Myself


This one's for the girls, especially my daughter, Sarah, whose work writing a love letter to herself at Snowball last week inspired this post.

Dear Me,

We've been through so much over these last 40 + years, and I just wanted you to know how much I love you. I really don't say this enough, and it's important that you understand the reasons why you are so precious to me. Let me count the ways. Here are just a few:

We are strong. We survived a youth that can best be described as tumultuous. But, like Dumbledore, we learned from our struggles. We now know that perfection doesn't matter (we are, and will always be, far from perfect) as long as we are learning from our mistakes and continuing to grow. You are amazing because you didn't give up, admit when you are wrong, and try to do your best.

Even when you thought you weren't worth loving, you let yourself be vulnerable when we met Chance. You are worth loving, you are capable of great love, and you are able to forgive and be forgiven. Your vulnerability is what makes you both strong and lovable, and it is a quality that I know you work on. Keep it up. It makes me love you all the more.

Finally, I love you (always) because you gave Sarah to the world. She's such a great kid. She's so much like you: empathic, opinionated ;), and idealistically wants to make the world a better place. You did that. You carried her, brought her into the world, and - with Chance and a village - are raising her into a a delightful young woman.

There are countless more reasons why I love you more and more each day. I will work on communicating them to you so that you really, truly, get it.

Love (Always),
Lorie

8 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and brave. So glad you took inspiration from your daughter and wrote to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. It was one of the scariest blog posts I've ever written. But worth the struggle.

      Delete
  2. Wow. What a great practice. I admire your post, mostly because I think you are very brave. I've never even thought of writing this kind of letter to myself, but I bet it's a great affirmation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never thought of it either, until my daughter came back from her Snowball retreat and was telling me about her experience. Then, I jumped off the cliff and did it. And didn't know how much I needed it until I had.

      Delete
  3. Your post reminds me of the kind of confidence I'm trying to instill in my own daughters. This is both creative and so courageous. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post reminds me of the kind of confidence I'm trying to instill in my own daughters. This is both creative and so courageous. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much. It was a struggle, but really worth it in the end. It's funny how much easier things get when you're doing them for - or are inspired by - your kids.

      Delete
  5. What a great idea and what a great role model you are to show your daughter how she can inspire you too. I might just steal this idea at some point. I love your reasons and reminders to yourself.

    Erika

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews