Saturday, March 4, 2017

#SOL17 Day 4 - Hogwarts Teaching Part II

Here's part two of my three #SOL17 posts reflecting on the teaching qualities of three Hogwarts professors. A podcast titled "Teach Like They Do at Hogwarts," created by Chuck Poole (@cpoole27) at Teachonomy.com described three qualities and challenged teachers to reflect on the qualities within themselves.

Minerva McGonagall. Her name is synonymous with both "strict" and "kind," those characteristics which imply a balancing act that many teachers struggle to achieve. Professor McGonagall has long been my spirit animal and is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated characters in the Harry Potter series. She tolerated zero nonsense at Hogwarts, yet would give any student the cloak off her back. McGonagall had a wry sense of humor, and her reputation as a firm but fair teacher earned her respect among the Hogwarts students (with the possible exception of Draco Malfoy.)

I think McGonagall is such a great teaching archetype because she doesn't make the mistake of being her students' friend. She is clearly their teacher, their protector, and their mentor. In the muggle world, Professor McGonagall wouldn't be friends with her students on social media. But she would care for them, care about them, and help them learn to care about themselves and the world around them. This is the kind of teacher I continually strive to be.

The podcaster that inspired this post hit my 5th graders on the head perfectly when he said that students crave "a balance of freedom and routine, of discipline and choice, of consequence and mercy." The question is, which side do I fall on? Am I more lenient, or more of a disciplinarian? I think the latter, but only a little bit. So, being even more inspired by Minerva McGonagall than ever, I'll jump on that balance beam and strive to move slightly more toward center, show my students a little more mercy, kindness, and respect.

9 comments:

  1. I too waver between thinking I am too strict and not. I like your "translation" to the muggle world of today. This is a fun podcast to learn about vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Reflecting so deeply has been a wonderful experience.

      Delete
  2. Love the way you took a character near and dear to my heart and made me think about her in a new way. We could all be a little more like Minerva.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way you took a character near and dear to my heart and made me think about her in a new way. We could all be a little more like Minerva.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. I've always connected to her in a really deep way, but couldn't really articulate why until I listened to the podcast.

      Delete
  4. This is great. I just went back and read yesterday's post, too, and I look forward to reading your thoughts on Snape.

    Like you, I strive to be more like Minerva McGonagall. She is no nonsense, and yet compassionate.

    l am rereading the series, on audiobook, in the car. I just started The Half-Blood Prince, and I dread coming to the ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending SLAYED me the first time I read it. You'll really like tomorrow's post, then. :)

      Delete
  5. Another great reflection! I too relate well to Prof. McGonagall and I love how you are moving toward the center of the beam. Such a great reflection and I look forward to your thoughts on Snape!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know how I can criticize my own family, but NOBODY else better not do it? This post reminds me that that's how I feel about my students. I can point out who has issues, but if someone else wants to complain about one of them, BEWARE!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews