Thursday, March 30, 2017

#SOL17 Day 30 - The Rewards of Travel


Our time in Tahiti is almost at an end. We leave late tomorrow night. Last night was Tahitian Marquesan Night at our hotel. The evening consisted of a buffet dinner and a traditional Tahitian performance... kind of like a Hawaiian luau. It was quite something, to be immersed in a culture with which I was unfamiliar and, like most new things, got me thinking.

This is a big reason why I travel. Yes, I love to see new places. Yes, I love to go to warm weather whenever I get the chance (I live in Chicago... I know you understand.) But a large part of why we choose those new warm places is to learn about new cultures, and to remember that the world is both very big, and very small. Someone way smarter than me once said that travel is the antidote to prejudice. I believe that with my whole heart. Learning about new places - their cultures, environments, people - makes you less fearful of the world. I think fear drives prejudice. Whatever we can do to keep that fear from taking over our lives will make the world a better and safer place.

So, go. See new places. Try new things. Meet new people. The world will thank you for it.

7 comments:

  1. Well said! This is why I am an expat and travel frequently. I want to learn more and experience new cultures and people. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea that travel is the antidote to prejudice, and yes, it is a big and small world. Thanks for reminding us all of the importance of understanding other cultures and parts of the world, even if we can't always get there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea that travel is the antidote to prejudice, and yes, it is a big and small world. Thanks for reminding us all of the importance of understanding other cultures and parts of the world, even if we can't always get there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, I wholeheartedly agree with your takeaways! I am so glad you were able to enjoy this trip (and share it with us)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is why I'm an international teacher. I love being an expat so I can become a part of many cultures and learn about places so I can later share with my students.

    Great post!

    -Amanda at https://teachingwanderlust.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoever said it is right, "travel is the antidote to prejudice." I also find I'm more grateful for even the simplest of things when I return home. It gives us a reality check! That's why I'm trying to make sure my grandkids travel... and not to resorts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't heard that "travel is the antidote to prejudice" but those are wise words. Excited that you got to spend so much time learning about a different culture. (And a bit jealous, too!)

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews