Friday, March 3, 2017

#SOL17 Day 3 - Hogwarts Teaching Part I

I am a Harry Potter FANATIC. The book series made my non-reader husband a reader, my daughter a book nerd, and serves as a gateway to hard literature for my students. I've read the series countless times, have regular movie marathons, and have been to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter twice. So imagine my excitement as I was meandering through Twitter early this morning and discovered a podcast titled, "Teach Like They Do at Hogwarts," created by Chuck Poole (@cpoole27) at Teachonomy.com. Turns out, this podcast is tailor made for reflection, so I'll be dedicating three #SOL17 posts to it as I reflect on the teaching qualities of three Hogwarts professors.

Dumbledore gained wisdom through struggles and hardships, then used it to help his students. What are some moments in my life that were tough, times that actually taught me valuable lessons?
  • I struggled with believing I was "good enough," but that taught me the value of not comparing myself to others and to focus on making my best effort. As Dumbledore put it, "It is our choices that show us what we are, far more than our abilities."
  • Having a father who was an alcoholic taught me that things might be bad, but that those things don't last forever. Or, in the words of Dumbledore, "Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."
  • There are so many times in my schooling and in my career when I just felt like stopping because I was tired, or it was too much work, or something else seemed more fun. But I am so happy that I stuck with teaching because I truly love it, and it is so right for me. Dumbledore puts it more succinctly, saying, "We must choose between what is easy and what is right."
This just scratches the surface of lessons and wisdom I can pass onto my students (and, WOW, is Dumbledore quotable or what?) I will continue to reflect on times in my life that I've struggled so I can share them with my students. 

Tomorrow, I'll tackle the mercy of my favorite Hogwarts professor (and spirit animal) Minerva McGonagall.

14 comments:

  1. Teach like they do at Hogwarts has me intrigued! I remember waiting for each new book to come out to read with my sons. I love your reflection connections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was - and is - a major part of my life. :)

      Delete
  2. This post will get shared with my HP friends. It was an outstanding literary movement, and a major part of my life, more so with my son then my daughter. My son and I read them in "real time," while my daughter and niece are reading them as adults (plus they visited HP world for my niece's bachelorette party!). Love the line from Dumbledore on "choosing right over easy"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Laurie. I feel the exact same way. I could teach an entire year on just Harry Potter and the lessons it teaches.

      Delete
  3. This line is so important to me: "Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."

    We are responsible for action, not just gesture.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to listen to this podcast! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've listened to it multiple times now, Jennie. There's a lot of powerful truth there! I highly recommend it.

      Delete
  5. I am not a huge Harry Potter fan. I read a couple of the books so I would know about them, but that was about it. However, I know some huge HP fans--both young AND old. What I learned today is how quotable Dumbledore is! I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always surprising to me what I get out of the characters when I read the books again. This was especially true for me with Dumbledore.

      Delete
  6. The Harry Potter books are definitely one of the defining memories of my childhood. From my mom reading aloud the first two or three, to waiting eagerly for the sequels and then the films... I'm so intrigued by "Teach Like They Do at Hogwarts"! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a great podcast... only 12 minutes long! I came across it when I was getting ready for work last week.

      Delete
  7. I am so glad that you are reflecting on the podcast and that you have done such an amazing job! I love how you have reflected on Dumbledore here and how you have added some amazing quotes that we can all learn from. I love your point on how we, as teachers, can sometimes get tired or feel that there is just too much work, but sticking with it is worth it in the end! Great reflection :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chuck! This has been a really inspiring few days. I've actually never had the opportunity to reflect this deeply, and I'm finding it really helpful. This trio of posts is one that I know I'll return to when I need a little boost. I can't thank you enough for your podcast.

      Delete

Total Pageviews