Tuesday, March 28, 2017

#SOL17 Day 28: Sweet Students


Last Friday afternoon was an exciting time in my class: we had just wrapped up a 4-quadrant pairing analysis on "Tragic Prelude," and were basking in the last few minutes before we all went our separate ways for spring break. Backpacks were being loaded with book stacks, plans were being discussed, Snapchat usernames were being exchanged.

Wait. WHAT?

Yes. My students were exchanging Snapchats. I know what you're thinking. I rolled my eyes, too, as they started grabbing sticky notes and passing around their usernames. Some even asked me if I had one (yes, but I place a social media moratorium on current students.) But then I started to listen. This is what I heard:

"Do you want mine? I want to keep in touch with everyone over break."

"Sure! That'd be fun. I'll miss you guys."

"Here's mine, too."

"We have a group chat called Mrs. Barber's Class. I'll add you."

"That's awesome!"

Oh, these SWEETIES! They wanted to stay connected! Our bond has grown so strong that they were actually going to miss each other this week. Mind you, this wasn't between BFFs or among one sub-group of friends; they reached out across racial, socio-economic, friendship, and gender lines. And that group chat??? Oh, they got me there. It was in that precise moment that I realized: we are a team. A unit. A squad, as my kids would say. They care about each other so much that they want to communicate outside of school. It made me want to give them my username.

Almost. 😉

6 comments:

  1. You've built a wonderful community in your classroom. No wonder they want to keep in touch! Well done! Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome moment! To think that you helped them create this bond is very special. It was great to see my third graders so excited to see each other after our break this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the unplanned moments like this that make a teacher's day, or even the week, knowing that students care about one another. I would live on the glow of it for a long time to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! Especially since it wasn't just the little cliques that already hang out together. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The draws and pitfalls of social media. I totally understand your struggle of whether to pass your username out. A group-chat with your name attached? The highest compliment given. Good you could abstain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great community you have created! Love the fact that they are reaching beyond the typical friendship circles.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews