Tuesday, March 21, 2017

#SOL17 Day 21: A Long Overdue Thank You


Dear Mrs. Hauser,

It's been seven years since I was your very first student teacher. Last week, I just finished working with my very first student teacher. Throughout the 2-month long process of growing a new teacher, I thought of you almost daily. You, as my cooperating teacher, had impacted me in countless ways, one of which was on a subject I had no idea how do tackle: mentoring a student teacher. I reached back into the only student teaching experience I had: my own with you, and I asked myself: WHAT WOULD DEBBIE DO?

This became my mantra. I was in a position similar to the one you were in when you graciously chose to mentor me: teaching long enough to feel confident in what you were doing, but still questioning and knowing how much more there was to learn. You taught me that we never stop learning, growing, and changing as teachers. You taught me that reflection is vital to a good teaching practice. You taught me that doing something "because that's how it's always been done" probably means it's time to retire.

All of these little nuggets of wisdom, and countless more (the way you treated your students, the collaborative relationship you had with your colleagues, the professionalism with which you worked with all staff members) became the meat and potatoes of my mentorship with Shannon, my student teacher. I know I wouldn't have been as confident in my abilities as a mentor if it weren't for you.

Therefore, to make a long story short, thank you. Truly. From the bottom of my heart. I hear horror stories of student teacher fails, of cooperating teacher nightmares, of candidates quitting the program due to a bad experience. My experience was just the opposite and, in part because of your influence, I hope Shannon's was as well.

Love,
Lorie

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet note- I hope you really send it. She would be so happy with the specificity of your note. I am sure Shannon loved her time with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually did this morning! It was great to be back in touch with her!! :)

      Delete
  2. It's so great that you did this! It's easy to forget how we got our start. I would guess that you made Debbie's day, month, year.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews