Friday, March 17, 2017

#SOL17 Day 17: 17 Truths

For the 17th day of the 2017 Slice of Life Challenge, here are 17 truths about me (inspired by at least three other slicers), in no particular order :

  1. I like to cook for my family, but struggle to find the time and plan ahead.
  2. I'm an identical twin. I love it! Being a twin is a huge part of my identity and part of what makes me who I am.
  3. I have one kid. She's awesome. It irritates me when people say, "Oh? Only one?" If they knew my struggle to try and have another kid, they'd probably choose different words. And I don't think people are aware of that unless they, too, had a similar experience.
  4. I've taught every grade from 2nd through 6th. 5th and 6th are my absolute favorites. High school TERRIFIES me.
  5. I'm reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (the first book in my absolute favorite series) to my class for the first time ever. Potter fever is now sweeping my classroom. Students are coming to school dressed in robes and wearing Potter glasses. We're using spells to learn Greek and Latin stems. And we're learning about friendship, bravery, and complicated characters. It is (ahem) MAGICAL.
  6. I love to watch my kid play volleyball. I used to play in high school, and I get such a special feeling in my hear when she asks me to pepper with her.
  7. No one told me that parenting in the early teenage years is basically akin to being a taxi driver.
  8. I don't like cake. But I'm obsessed with brownies. And my daughter's chocolate chip cookies. And thin mints.
  9. I just realized a few days ago that I've been married longer than my parents were. There's definitely a future blog post in that thought somewhere.
  10. We go to someplace warm and tropical every spring break. It's the carrot dangled in front of us to keep us going through the winters.
  11. My happy place is at a beach with my family, book in hand.
  12. Teaching is my 3rd profession. I was a television producer and a finance office manager. Both of my previous careers followed in the footsteps of my parents. Teaching is the career I chose for me.
  13. I love to snorkel. Coolest place so far? Costa Rica. I felt like I was swimming in Nemo's reef. My daughter got inked by an octopus. (Awwww... you guys made me ink!)
  14. Coffee is my goddess. I bow down to her daily. Fun fact: I didn't start drinking it until I was in graduate school getting my master's in teaching. 7 short years later, I'm fully addicted.
  15. This blog has made me more present. I laugh more, notice little details more, and take the time to slow down and be in the moment more often.
  16. My husband and daughter are both genuinely funny people. I value a sense of humor so much more now than I did when I was younger.
  17. I grew up in Southern California. I went to college at Long Beach State University, and have lived blocks from two fabulous beaches (Belmont Shore and Manhattan Beach.) I'm now in Chicago, which simply proves that I'm insane.

7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this format of a post and getting to know you through your words. May have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's delightful to read your post and get this glimpse of you. I love 6th grade too and high school terrifies me too! I'm entranced that you're getting to share Harry Potter in your classroom. We read the first one when it was brand new in 3rd grade. I was job sharing, so I had to arrive at school early or spend my lunch catching up for the days I'd missed. Our end of the year party was Potter themed and this was long before Potter mania! I love #15! Adding this format to my list of slicing possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this way to get to know you better. I have a twin in my class this year and bet that being a twin could be the start of many slices for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these!

    8. Me too! Never have liked cake. Brownies are SO much better!
    11. That is one of my happy places too.
    13. Love to snorkel too. I've only been a couple times. Better one was in Hawaii. So cool. Little fish nipping at me as I fed them. The big sea turtle swimming around us. So cool.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the variation in your truths. Some are so fun and some are so raw. Isn't it amazing how much more we notice when we are paying attention for posts. Our thoughts and interactions become more important somehow. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the variation in your truths. Some are so fun and some are so raw. Isn't it amazing how much more we notice when we are paying attention for posts. Our thoughts and interactions become more important somehow. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun to read. I've been to Chicago and loved it--to visit. I'm from northern Montana and moved to Southern CA, not far from the beaches. I can't imagine going to opposite way. You are either insane or insanely brave!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews