Thursday, March 16, 2017

#SOL17 Day 16: Reflections from the Half-Way Point

We're halfway through (already?!) this grand and unexpected experiment called The Slice of Life Challenge, where people from all around the word commit to blogging daily about small moments in their lives. Their reasons for joining are as varied as the people in the group.

I chose to join the challenge because I wanted to experience daily writing in order to help my 5th grade students develop a more purposeful and authentic writing life. What I didn't realize were all of the priceless side benefits I would enjoy. I meant it when I said "unexpected." Today's post lists and reflects on a few of my takeaways, the ones for which I am most grateful.


  1. I am having a great time... way more than I thought I would! I'll admit: at first, I was nervous. Putting your life - not to mention your craft - out there makes you vulnerable. Definitely not my strong suit. But I'm pleasantly surprised at how FUN this daily exercise has been!
  2. Poetry is awesome! So far, I've written 2 haikus and an ode over the course of 15 days. The wordplay that I'm doing stretches me in a way that I haven't done before, and I'm enjoying it immensely.
  3. Writing doesn't have to be a dissertation. Less is often more.
  4. A notebook is necessary. HUGE takeaway for my students. My scraps of paper weren't cutting it anymore. My notebook now goes with me everywhere, and is a place to both record tiny moments to write about later, and to expand my thoughts I've started.
  5. Reading the words of others is just as important as writing. I've been inspired creatively, inspired by the stories, and pushed in new directions by this fabulous community of writers. Reading and supporting the members of this group through comments has been simply lovely.
  6. Ideas are overflowing! I'm definitely a plan-ahead type, but as I become more present and notice more, I get so many ideas running around my head (thank you, notebook!) that there are times that I have posts written several days in advance. 
This experience is already inspiring me to get my students blogging. I shared my blog with them this morning, and want to brainstorm with them the best way to get them started on their own blogging journeys! A MASSIVE thank you to the team at Two Writing Teachers for creating this creative, collaborative community.

6 comments:

  1. It is an amazing month! Good for you- a planner- I wish I were. So far all my notebook attempts do not stick either:( I do have my class slicing with me, so I know you will love that addition next year;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the sixth one. I start each time with a bank of ideas, and I find that I rarely use them. We do notice a lot when we're really looking. I'm so glad you're writing and you've joined us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the sixth one. I start each time with a bank of ideas, and I find that I rarely use them. We do notice a lot when we're really looking. I'm so glad you're writing and you've joined us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your list! For these reasons and more, I keep coming back to the challenge year after year. It fuels me like nothing else has. And for that, I'm grateful! Glad you joined this year, and look forward to seeing you next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should use a notebook, but just don't. However, I do notice things all day long that may make good slicing. What I wish I had more time to do is READ. There are so many great writers out there that I find myself bummed at the end of each day because I couldn't read more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also struggle with a notebook...but recently I've had so many idea in my head for slices that I do need to start writing them down somewhere! In the past I've used scrap papers, or sometimes even a simple note on my phone will do the trick :) Glad you're enjoying the challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews