Friday, March 10, 2017

#SOL17 Day 10 - Oh, the Places You'll Go!


I'm saying goodbye to my very first student teacher today. She was with me for 8 short weeks, as she has a split placement with me and an English Language Learning push-in teacher at another elementary school.

I spent last night putting together a "teacher toolkit" for her and, as I was doing so, felt quite emotional. I hope I prepared her well. I hope I didn't do anything to dull that "new teacher" sparkle and unbridled optimism that simply radiates from her. I hope she understands what a great privilege this job is, that we as teachers have an unparalleled effect on the lives - and the futures - of our students. I hope she takes this awesome responsibility and holds it close to her heart. It is delicate. We can break it if we're not careful. I hope she sees the value of collaborating and working with the other amazing minds that will surround her.

I know she'll go far. She is exceptional (my principal's words, not mine.) She has set the bar very high for all other student teachers I might one day choose to mentor. I know she'll love whatever grade level she's at. I know she'll love her students, even when they're not all that lovable. I know she'll call them her "kids." I know she'll stay up nights and worry about them.  I know I learned just as much from her as she did from me. I know she already has the tools to be a great teacher. I just gave her a kit of cool stuff.

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful idea to give her a "teacher toolkit!" So wonderful of you to not try to dull her new teacher sparkle. I was talking to someone about new folks coming into teaching the other day. My friend said, "You know how it has changed (I'm 23 years in), but they only know the way it is now." I'm sure your protege will go far, and she'll have you to partially credit. Way to go. -Lanny

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sounds great...but know how lucky she was to have you as well! Mentor teachers who take in student teachers are hard to come by. Harder still are awesome mentor teachers who take in student teachers - and you sound like an awesome mentor teacher! A teacher toolkit is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a humbling experience to work with an amazing student teacher. I worked with two that were already super stars. I am sure she learned loads from you and will always hold the memories of her student teaching experience in her heart. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is heart-warming to know that there are young teachers out there who are gifted, passionate and "called" to be in this amazing profession. I love that you included that you learned as much from her as she learned from you. That says something about you as a mentor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we need them more than ever, to be honest.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely tribute to one of those who will lead the future. It is great to hear about them!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews