Saturday, March 18, 2017

#SOL17 Day 18: My Work Here Is Done

My family and I had a rare occurrence last night: uninterrupted time together. My daughter's plans with a friend fell through, and my husband and I were both home from work. We had finished a lovely dinner and decided to hunker down for a movie night. On the menu: both of the National Treasure movies, a favorite in our family.

My daughter was snuggled in her blanket at the foot of our sectional as we watched together. One of the characters in "National Treasure: Book of Secrets," upon finding the Lost City of Gold, was overcome with excitement about all the learning that the discovery would to lead to. Sarah's response? "That's Mom in a bookstore!"

I love that she identifies me as a lover of books. It's true, I do get a little overly excited. Or, to quote the first movie, "Go one step short of crazy and what do you get? Passionate." That's me about reading in a nutshell. But the fact that my daughter sees it as such an intrinsic part of me? And that she loves books as much as I do, AND loves the Beatles and musical theater, to boot?
*Drops the mic*
My work here is done.

15 comments:

  1. I've never heard "Go one step short of crazy and what do you get? Passion!" I love that! I'm stealing it. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steal away! I stole it from the film!

      Delete
  2. I love that line too and it is also new to me. Small wonder your daughter inherited many of your best passions. I am so out of touch with movies- I don't know either movie. Glad you enjoyed your family time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband laughs and says she's a mini me. Her mannerisms, what she likes. He loves it.

      Delete
  3. Love that quote about crazy and passionate...and that your daughter recognizes and shares your book love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! I love it, too. It's one of my favorite ways to connect with her. In fact, three of the books I'm packing to take on vacation are recommendations from her!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE those movies!! I watch them all the time!

    And it's so cool that she has picked up some of your passions. I have things like that I think are so important and hope to pass on to my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so fun when you see the parts of you in your kids - but sometimes not so fun. ;)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I see a lot of the things that I don't like about myself!

      Delete
  5. My 12 year old struggling reader and I stopped by the bookstore the other day and he said, "Argh! Mom! I can't believe I'm excited about going here!" What a feeling, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, YAYYYYY!!!!! That's SO great! My husband was a struggling reader all his life. Watching him bloom into someone who loves to browse bookstores and has a TBR stack is one of the great joys of my marriage.

      Delete
  6. Yes! My daughter picked a terrible book at the used bookstore yesterday. I told her it was junk & we weren't getting it. She gasped and said,"How can you call a book junk?!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA!!! That's awesome. I felt the same way when my kid was reading Twilight. But I totally read it, too.

      Delete
  7. I,love the playfulness of thismpost. That quote: one step...passion, is wonderful,and evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! It sounds like you DESERVE to drop the mic. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews